Ways to Ensure your Data on Cloud is Safe & Secure
https://www.sifytechnologies.com/dc-services/Managing your data on the cloud offers myriad benefits to your business. But like any other technology, cloud computing also has its share of risks involved. When considering a move to the cloud, consumers should get familiar with the potential security risks.
There are a few security and privacy challenges relevant to cloud computing and if you have a clear understanding of them, you can safeguard your data against them. Both you and your cloud service provider have responsibilities that address the potential risks. Here are the things to consider to ensure data security:
- You should implement a tiered protection layer for your data to create a security model that includes a multiple perimeter rings of defense. Different layers of defense will safeguard your data from both, internal and external threats.
- Make sure you manage authorisation process. Create a coherent hierarchy of people or departments that have access to your data on the cloud. Moreover, deploy a program to review access trails. Ask your cloud provider if there are process and functionality that control who has access to the data. Work with a provider that offers a cloud environment that is controlled and managed.
- Secure networks and connections are another imperative when choosing a cloud provider. You must evaluate the type of external network controls offered by the provider to distinguish authorised traffic from the unauthorised one. And you should do the same internally as well.
- Evaluating physical infrastructure and facilities of the cloud provider for security controls is extremely important. The physical infrastructure is managed by the provider and you must get assurance from them regarding security in the facilities. Your service provider must have mandatory security controls on their human resources.
- Authorised personnel and physical security are not the only concerns, you should also ensure that the facility is protected against external and environmental threats. Check with the provider whether or not appropriate facilities are in place to make sure that services will continue in case of equipment failure or environmental threats.
- Scrutinising application security is another important aspect, specifically in SaaS deployments. While the cloud provider has the liability of application security, it is imperative that you know all about the security measures taken.
- Go through the security requirements of the exit process. In the event of the termination of service, the consumer must be provided with a smooth transition of data, without any loss or security breach. Make sure the exit process is properly documented in the contract to provide security during the transaction.
The greatest security concern for any business is to pick the right provider. Keeping your data safe is as much the concern of the provider as it is yours. Therefore, you must ensure that you choose a provider that takes data security as a priority so that your doubts are put to rest.